One of the bears on Grandfather Mountain
The Blue Ridge Parkway near Linville
A local Christmas tree farm
The community of Linville is located just south of the U.S. 221 and NC 105 intersection in Avery County.
The Gable Haus is a good base camp for exploring the high country, located just two miles from Grandfather Mountain, 3 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway which can take you to the town of Blowing Rock via the Linville Viaduct, the southern route takes you to Linville Falls, Linville Caverns and Linville Gorge. At 3600 ft elevation, this enchanted place in the Blue Ridge is a wonderful retreat or just a place to get away.
Things to do in Linville
If it’s hiking, fly fishing, golf, The Highland Games, Woolly Worm Festival, skiing, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, rafting, exploring, cutting a Christmas Tree or just taking in the wonder of autumn’s splendor, it’s all within your reach. Let’s not forget weddings and family reunions.
The arts in Linville
We invite you on our journey to becoming the new Linville Arts District. With the Gable Haus Art Gallery on premises where local artists as well as the owner offer fine art, photography, primitive mirrors, handmade jewelry, antique jewelry, and weaving as well as mountain walking canes. The 87 Ruffin Street Folk Art Gallery, The Ruffin Street Trading Company, and pottery classes are all in walking distance..
Come join with us in the seasons of the Blue Ridge:
- Winter – Ski and snowboard Sugar, Beech, and Hawks Nest. Bring the kids for tubing at Jonas Ridge and Sugar Mountain.
- Spring – Watch the mountain laurel and Rhododendron bloom forth. Hiking, Fly-fishing.
- Summer – Escape the heat for the mild cool days. Weddings, Highland Games, Hiking
- Autumn – Fall foliage abounds everywhere. Woolly Worm Festival, you can actually see a woolly worm race!
- Christmas – Avery County produces more Christmas trees than any other in the state. There are numerous farms to go and cut your own. Come back for hot chocolate.